top of
The laws of nature are sometimes less severe than those made by man. At that time I was at the mercy of a little student from Nigeria
as I had been at the mercy of a little Austrian girl a few months before.

    My paintings were almost certainly lost for good and I was in the painful process of getting used to the idea when, one afternoon, a telephone call out of the blue gave me renewed hope. I believe in such magical coincidence. A comrade from prison called, Necdet A., whom I had not seen since my extradition.

Robert O.
    He spoke of his upcoming marriage and the jewelry shop that he and his brother had just opened in a new quarter of Istanbul. As I prepared to hang up he shouted," Hey, Nezir, guess who I saw yesterday?". I was in no mood for guessing games and told him so. He asked me if I remembered, a black, a fellow named Robert, the Nigerian??. I asked him frantically where he'd seen him and when. He repeated it was yesterday in front of the Sultan Ahmet Hotel in old Istanbul. I couldn't believe my luck. I jumped for joy, checked the address and ran to the hotel as fast as my legs could carry me. Robert had apparently got involved with the drug trade, a typical phenomenon in prison, and had become an entirely different person.
   I found the hotel in no time and Robert was in his room. He started as if he'd seen a ghost. He was convinced that I was still rotting in jail in Austria. He told me immediately the exact location of my paintings and belongings. I was so overwrought that I swore that if we was lying to me I'd find him and cut both his ears off if it was the last thing I did! He told me not to worry, that he could count on his old friend, that the superintendent of the building was taking good care of the paintings and that he was about to bring down millions in a nice deal on some "powder".  
 God had not abandoned me! The coincidence became a miracle!
     I decided immediately that, despite the obvious dangers, I had to go back to Vienna as soon as possible. I had been refused a new passport by the authorities in Istanbul, I tried Ankara, the capital. After enormous difficulties and much money spent on legal costs and bribes, I got the necessary papers together. Now, however, I no longer had the money for roundtrip bus fare. I scraped the cash together with small loans from friends and by selling the last possessions I owned down to my watch and cigarette lighter. I had to wait another interminable month for my passport to be validated.